Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Chang Rai to Huey Xai

For this trip we took a bus that was quite luxurious in Thai standards. It had a/c, reclining chairs, and snacks were served.

The first night we stayed at a place called Chat House. It had a nice courtyard to hang out.

We considered renting motorbikes again but since it was a small town, we opted to explore on foot. We wandered through a local day market selling all kinds of things.

This is me and a guy who worked at the guest house. His name was John. He was a Burmese refugee and told some interesting stories about life in Burma.

For dinner I decided to have a traditional northern Thai dish called Lab Neau. The main dish consisted of minced pork, basil, red onions, and carrots with a lemon sauce.

The next morning I had some fried noodles for $1. I was surprised to be served green noodles.

There was a night market and a big area with a stage and tables set up but nobody was there. I think its much busier during high season.

Dinner was shrimp and cashews again. I don't eat enough shrimp in Korea.
The next day, as we prepared for our ride to Chang Khong on Thai/Laos border, I noticed this water called "Yellow Surprise"... I wasn't thirsty enough to try it.

Once we got to Chang Kong, we got on a boat to cross the river into Huey Xai, Laos.



No comments: